Friday, October 4, 2013

Fun with Myers-Briggs Assessments!

This week at PFTF we went through results from our Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Assessments, and used our profiles as a discussion point for careers outside academia.

I guess I'm a bit unusual because I've wanted to do biological research since high school, and even way back then I knew I wanted a PhD and a career in academia. I've never deviated (or considered deviating) from this path. But still, I always find these personality assessment tools fun to look at - particularly from a management perspective, so I know what my weak points are when it comes to dealing with employees and colleagues. However, my profiles on these things are never a surprise.

I am an ENTJ according to Myers-Briggs:
Frank, decisive, assume leadership readily. Quickly see illogical and inefficient procedures and policies, develop and implement comprehensive system to solve organizational problems. Enjoy long-term planning and goal setting. Usually well informed, well read, enjoy expanding their knowledge and passing it onto others. Forceful in presenting their ideas.
Yep, the MBTI has me down to a T. Inefficiency drives me insane. I set daily goals every morning, and I'm already filling in iCal events for 2015. The MBTI rated science and law as two of my top recommended career choices, and I was weighing exactly those two options in high school.

Some people in our group expressed skepticism (or resistance) to these type of personality assessments, but I think everyone should complete one at some point to gain some insight on their natural personality tendencies. The results can be eye-opening, particularly if you're looking to make a change or searching for the ideal career path.

We finished up with some recommended external readings:

No comments:

Post a Comment